Friday, April 8, 2011

Day 23: Reflections on Songwriting

Here are a few thoughts and feelings that I've had since working on song 3, First Draft:

Something that Dominic and I discussed after recording is that we believe that true artists are never satisfied with their work.  Even when I show people these songs and they enjoy them, all that I'm hearing when I listen is the things that could be better.  I've noticed that each time I listen to the songs again, I can let go of more and more of these things, and can enjoy the song more and more, but the knowledge of what could be better is always in front of me.  Dominic noticed that people that show you their music and immediately brag about how great it is typically are terrible artists.  So true!  Convexly, we have Jeff Buckley, one of my primary musical influences, who only recorded one studio album and was never satisfied with it even though Grace is on most critics top 10 CD's of the 90's and is one of Rolling Stones top albums of all time.  Thanks Jeff, that's encouraging. 

Something else I noticed from this songwriting experience is that its getting easier and easier for me to write songs!  I've sat down and tried to write Katelyn a love song numerous times, but never could make it happen.  However because I've been exercising my songwriting muscles, this song was actually really easy to write!  That's a good lesson for you ladies with a man who is a musician.  It can be HARD to write a love song, but just give them time and it will come. :) 

I'm excited for the future, I really feel like each song is stretching me, but also making me a better song writer and musician.  Like recording a guitar solo, never done it before, and it was kind of strange, but I know next time I'll be more comfortable with it.  It wasn't really planned out, we just did about 5 takes and picked the one we liked the best.  Anyway, here's a quote from Dominic Leon that was made after talking about how frustrated we were with our limitations of resources, skill, musicians, and whatever else when it comes to music:


"Let your limitations be your muse." - Dominic Leon

Selah.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post, and relate with it. There are so many times I've sat down with Amreitha to write songs, and nothing came out.

    Also, I'm never satisfied with anything I make. Creating music can be very discouraging for this reason, but real joy is when you love the music you make--playing exactly what you like.

    ReplyDelete